Sunday, July 15, 2012

Dances with Dirt 10K

went into this happy to have ran Afton 25K the week before with out to much damage. I have developed a case of shin splints on my left leg need to address that. When I saw the profile and looked at the elevation clearer it was then I realized that this is going to be no average 10K distance even for a trail run.


With my recent learning at Afton about my apparent extreme weakness in climbing I went from a finish time in my head of 1:10-1:15 to thinking I would be out there 1:45. Ok though it would build me up some more strength.

Started the race at the parking lot and went out through a parking lot along a golf course... after a mile we really had not run one thing yet that resembled a trail I was starting to complain..LOL.. finally ducked into some woods maybe around 2 miles, they were not that technical, still complaining.. :) (sorry I like good single track)  this profile is a bit deceiving the second climb is far worse than the first one as the second one does not have any switch backs in the woods like the first... the second one was pretty much just a long up a ski hill hike, and it seemed to never end.... Thank goodness for the down hill section from the 2.5 mile mark to the 3.5 mile mark..I just let it go and did not care about if I fell.. I think I passed at least 20 some runners I did that mile in 8 minutes... there were plenty of places to fall as it was tall grass covering ruts in the trail but I have always been pretty decent at hill bombings and today it worked as well.. once over the ski hill the I should have bombed the second hill down but my quads were already sore from the first one so I just ran it moderate..... from there a flat finish... finished up with a 1:32 so on the low side of my new projected.

Post race was what it was all about for me, Watched Mike Henze come through sub 5 on the 50K and Renee and I sat with him at the finish and we pounded beers for a few hours (4 -5 hours I am thinking) It was nice to sit and enjoy a few with him. As well as we know each other we have never had this opportunity.

I think I will go back to this race again, not sure of which distance... and when.

So, Great run with Wayne Jensen, Great time post run with Mike Henze, always nice to spend some time away with my wife... Win-Win-Win.

Next up for me will be In Yan Teopa 10 Mile in Sept.

No comments:

Post a Comment